Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Afterlife With Archie

Issue 1
While my main intention for this blog is for it to focus on "fashion" (quotation marks because I don't really know much about fashion, I just know what I like) and my personal style, I still want it to represent who I am. I love fashion, but I also love video games and comics, and many other things. Funnily enough, Archie Comics are probably one of the first looks I had into fashion, especially 60s fashion. I started reading them in I think the third grade and never looked back. While Betty was originally my favorite, I gradually started to love Veronica. She can be a spoiled brat, but when it comes down to it, she's a strong woman that knows how to get what she wants. She was also a huge factor in me loving my long dark hair, since growing up with Disney princesses seemed to make me think being blonde was cooler. Either way, both Betty and Veronica know how to rock some amazing outfits, and I undoubtedly owe much of my outfit inspiration to them. Admittedly, I'll still pick up an Archie Comic at Safeway if I'm feeling stressed out, or just want to read one for old times sake. Growing up with Archie and the gang always made me feel like I was friends with them. So I was quite excited when I heard that someone had created an Archie series in which they go through a zombie apocalypse.


I don't want to give much away, but a brief synopsis: the comics are written by George A. Romero inspired Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla. I have always been a huge fan of zombie movies or stories (if you're interested in any other zombie comics I would highly recommend 'The Walking Dead' or 'Revival' series'). Romero zombie films were always my favorites. The other great part about this series is that Archie Comics is fully on board with its creation. This means that they don't have to leave out any characters, they have full access to the Archie Comics crew, even Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Josie and the Pussycats. So far the story is incredibly creepy and very touching. Reading this has been a completely different experience from reading any other zombie stories. Because you start out already knowing these characters and cherishing them all, it's very heartbreaking when you see them die. It almost feels like it's happening to your friends... it's a very new experience for zombie story reading for me, and I really enjoy the new concept. They have also done an excellent job representing the characters in an adult way. They have even changed around some of the characters relationships and have added more backstory to some of them. Basically if you've ever enjoyed Archie Comics and appreciate horror, please do yourself a favor and read this series now. A trade is being released which will include issues 1-5 which can be pre-ordered here, otherwise issue 5 will be released on May 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment