Thursday, July 24, 2014

migh-T by Kumiko Watari - "Mysterious Peaks" AW 2014


It's very possible that I'm the last one to realize that this brand exists. I stumbled upon it the other night while looking for shark related clothing. Whenever it's almost shark week, I get the urge to look for cool shark dresses or shirts, even though I seem to never actually buy anything. I came across this amazing dress, and immediately stopped all shark searching to look up the designer.

According to the website, Kumiko Watari was born and raised in Osaka, Japan and studied textiles. The prints on her designs are hand drawn, and she tries to add a bit of story telling and humor into each one. "The concept of the label 'migh-T' is 'mighty-strong' and also 'my-T-shirts' for people who have a strong mind and enjoy being unique in their lives." She has other collections ranging in themes from "Gnomes and Gardens," to "Fortune Telling," to "Deep in the Jungle." Check out her other collections right here.

I'm sharing migh-T's most recent collection for now, but I'm planning to post her shark collection, from a few years back, when it's Shark Week. I love how dreamy this current AW 2014 collection is. Also, as an anthropologist, I totally appreciate the mammoth cave drawing prints. The collection reminds me of the feeling I had while watching Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it (plus it's on Netflix instant watch right now). It's a beautiful documentary that gives viewers visual access to the Chauvet Caves in Southern France. These caves hold what we know as the earliest human drawings. This whole collection captures the same soothing, icy, mysterious feel that the documentary created for me. Additionally, the collection reminds me of all of the various ice themed temples in different Zelda games. Specifically Snowpeak from Twilight Princess, in which the final boss is this an Inuit woman who has been possessed by an evil mirror. Strange the way my mind works, eh?













No comments:

Post a Comment